He was a 1933 graduate of Cornell University, where he studied landscape architecture. He joined the Civilian Conservation Corps and help design and develop the recreational facilities at Redwood in Allegany State Park during the 1930s.
In 1938 he began teaching horticulture at McKinley Vocational High School and later taught landscape design at Hutchinson Technical High School.
He also was a member of Tryon, Schwarts and Associates, landscape engineers, and Town Planning.
He was a member of the Cornell Club of Buffalo, the Western New York Genealogical Society, the Clarence Historical Society and was a lifetime member of the American Society of Landscape Architects. He was a lifelong member of the Christadelphian Ecclesia and served as church elder and speaker.
His wife of more than 50 years, Eileen, died in 1992. A daughter, Gail Lisi, died in 1995 and a son, Donald, died in 2000.
He is survived by a son, Douglas R. of Manlius; two sisters, Imogene McCausland of Buffalo and Dorie Petrie of Kenmore, Wash.; a brother, Ralph Robertson of Niagara Falls; and four grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. May 19 in the Christadelphian Ecclesia chapel on Glendhu Avenue.